The Oasis Food Bank which builds a bridge to solve food waste and insufficient food, reduces environmental problems caused by food waste, and provides food supplements to low-income vulnerable families. Our mission is zero food waste, sustainable communities, and making food available to all.
Shanghai destroys about 1,200 tons of organic waste every day, most of which is food. At the same time, many vulnerable families, such as low-income households and elderly people living alone, still lack access to or cannot afford enough nutritious food.
Our network helps bridge the gap between food waste and demand by collecting food and other daily necessities that would otherwise be wasted. We distribute them to low-income families and other people in need to supplement their diets, especially in Shanghai.
Since 2014, Oasis Food Bank has helped 234 food manufacturers save over 755 tons of food that would have been wasted. From January to October 2020 alone, the center transported, recovered and redistributed 157 tons of food worth more than US$ 1,438,305 (RMB 9.33 million).
The Food Bank’s programs include:
- Best Food Pack: We provide basic supplies such as rice, oil, whole grains, and surplus food to about 200 families every month.
- Shared Fridge: We collect surplus food from hotels, supermarkets, and restaurants and make them available to people in need through a “Shared Refrigerator”.
- Daily Fruit and Vegetable Distribution: In partnership with supermarkets, we provide selected communities with fresh fruits and vegetables that were unsold but still within their shelf life.
- More than 860,000 people in Beijing, Shanghai, Sichuan, Hunan, Xinjiang, Jiangxi, Shandong, Shaanxi, Anhui, Guangdong, Inner Mongolia, Jiangsu, Hangzhou, Liaoning and other areas have shared surplus food
- From January to October 2020 alone, the center transported, recovered and redistributed 157 tons of food worth more than US$ 1,438,305 (RMB 9.33 million).
- Since 2014, Oasis Food Bank has helped 234 food manufacturers save over 755 tons of food that would have been wasted.
- 285 non-profit organizations, communities, and schools have become authorized distribution points.
- Over 80,000 volunteers have participated in sorting and distributing surplus food for people in need.
Your gift will help reduce waste, provide dietary support (such as rice, oil, grains and other basic foods) for vulnerable families and promote and expand the food bank network, including through the creation of an online platform and templates for the creation of community food banks in other areas.
- US$ 20 will provide a vulnerable family with a food package
- US$ 100 will provide 5 food packages to vulnerable families
- US$ 200 will provide 10 food packages to vulnerable families
History & Leadership
- Shanghai Oasis Public Service Development Center was established in November 2004 and is the first private environmental protection organization in Shanghai approved and officially registered by the Civil Affairs Bureau.
- In 2014, Shanghai Oasis Public Service Development Center cultivated the first three community-based food banks in China
- In 2015, the organization was awarded a 4A rating by the Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau.
- The Center’s board of directors is the highest decision-making body, and the director leads the overall work.
Awards & Recognition
- The Center’s Green Food Bank was awarded the 2018 Global Food Bank Innovation Award
- Awarded the 2018 Sustainable Mutual Benefit Community Development Demonstration Project from the central government.
- The Center’s community-based food banks were used as examples to promote food banks around the world, and awarded the 2017 Excellence in Social Innovation Partnership by the European Chamber of Commerce
- Awarded the bronze prize in the China Charity Project Competition
- Won Most Innovative Award at the 7th Social Organization Charity Event